- Metal Etagere $199 – $299
- Ainsley Over-the-Toilet Ladder with Baskets $299
- Mercer Bathtub Caddy $79
- Ultimate Storage Stool $129
- Classic Small Space Floor Storage $199
- Rattan Stool $129
- Rainier Bath Storage $79
- Mercer Double Hook $24 Special $22
- Ironing Board Hanger $59
- Vintage Floor Storage $299
- Benchwright Ladder Floor Storage $119 – $249
- Perry Waste Basket - Savannah Weave $34
- Gabrielle System - Canvas Hanging Hamper $24.50 – $69
- Davis Single Wide Sink Vanity with Drawers $109 – $2,799 Sale $109 – $2,239.99
- Mercer Standing Paper Storage $59
- simplehuman® Sensor Mirror Pro $250
- Vintage Recessed Medicine Cabinet $279 – $379
- Rustic Wood Shelves $79 – $149
- Bevel Rectangular Mirrors $249 – $399
- Kensington Pivot Rectangular Mirror $249 – $349
- Holman Shelves $79 – $199
- Vintage Pivot Mirror $249 – $349
- Vintage Round Mirror $299
- Upton Mirror $329
- Havana Utility Baskets $24.50 – $39
- Kensington Pivot Wide Rectangular Mirror $349
- Clarissa Crystal Drop Flush Mount $299
- Kensington Pivot Oval Mirror $349 – $399
- Pearson Shade Sconce $99 – $189
- Mercer Triple Glass Shelf $199
- Classic Double Wide Mirror $449
- Astor Beveled Mirror $349
- Kensington Pivot Round Mirror $349 – $399
- Savannah Lidded Baskets $29 – $59
- Vintage Fixed Mirror $249 – $349
- Perry Hamper & Liner- Savannah Weave $129
- Hundi Flush Mount $299
- Mason Reclaimed Wood Single Sink Vanity - Wax Pine Finish $1,999 Special $1,899
- Newport Wall Cabinet $22 – $349
- Stella Powder Room Mirror $349
- Eleanor Frameless Mirrors $99 – $129
- Kensington Mirror $249 – $349
- Havana Lidded Baskets $29 – $59
- Kensington Recessed Medicine Cabinet $349 – $449 Special $209 – $279
- Eagan Multipanel Mirror - Small $299
- Samantha Seagrass Baskets $39.50 – $132
- Eagan Multipanel Extra Small Mirror $299
- Hotel Wall-Mounted Medicine Cabinet $279 – $379
- Hayden Towel Bar $59 – $69
- Gabrielle Laundry System, 6 Piece Set $359
- Sussex Paper Holder $39
- Jacquelyne Recycling Bin Basket $89
- Havana Oval Magazine Basket $29
- Perry Hamper & Liner- Havana Weave $129
- Havana Underbed Baskets $29 – $49
- Perry Paper Holder - Havana Weave $49
- Mercer Glass Shelf $79 – $89 Special $75 – $84
- Modern Sink Console Hardware Sale $15 – $99
- Perry Divided Hamper & Liner- Havana Weave $179
- Pearson Towel Ring $44
- Classic Sink Console Hardware Sale $6 – $49
- Mercer Double Sconce $139
- Mercer Triple Sconce $189
- Classic Linen Closet $999
- Mercer Single Sconce $89 – $169
- Sussex Triple Sconce $189
- Beachcomber Wood Handled Basket $99
- Paulsen Reclaimed Wood Vanity $1,799
- Hayden Paper Holder $49
- Turner Rectangle Mirror $89
- Sausalito Single Sink Vanity $1,799
- Sussex Shade Sconce $129 – $249
- Ainsley Ladder Floor Storage with Baskets $279
- Matilda Wall Cabinet $249
- Davis Asymmetric Single Sink Vanity with Drawers $109 – $2,199 Sale $109 – $1,759.99
- Sussex Glass Shelf $59 – $69
- PB Classic Flush Mount - Vintage Glass $179 – $199
- Mercer Paper Holder $39 Special $37
- Mercer Towel Ring $34 Special $32
- Savannah Underbed Baskets $29 – $49
- Benchwright Reclaimed Wood Double Sink Vanity - Wax Pine Finish $3,599 Special $3,419
- Sussex Towel Bar $49 – $59
- Sussex Double Sconce $139
- Mercer Double Horizontal Sconce $149
- PB Classic Straight Arm Sconce - Flared Glass $150 – $300
- Davis Single Sink Vanity $109 – $1,499
- Pearson Paper Holder $49
- Hotel Recessed Medicine Cabinet $279 – $379 Sale $219.99 – $379
- Pearson Fixture Set $179
- Savannah Utility Baskets $39
- Perry Wastebasket - Havana Weave $34
- Miranda Capiz Round Mirror $399
- Metal Over-the-Toilet Etagere $399
- Modern Farmhouse Sink Vanity $1,299
- Clermont Recessed Medicine Cabinet $349 – $449
- Miranda Capiz Mirror $399
- Pearson Hook $29
- Mercer Standing Paper Holder $79
- Classic Single Wide Sink Vanity - Gray $1,899
- Hayden Towel Ring $44
- Sussex Towel Ring $34
- Mason Apothecary Single Sink Vanity $1,099
- Sussex Fixture Set $139
- Astor Recessed Medicine Cabinet $449
- PB Classic Straight Arm Sconce - Vintage Glass $160 – $320
- Classic Double Sink Vanity - Gray $2,399
- Hayden Fixture Set $179
- Havana Recycling Bin $99
- Vintage Swivel Mirror $299
- Beachcomber Lidded Basket $99
- Hayden Flush Mount $179
- Benchwright Paper Holder $69
- Jacquelyne Underbed Basket $69
- Classic Recessed Medicine Cabinet $249 – $349
- Newport Baskets $22 – $69
- Sussex Hook $24
- Hewitt Pivot Mirror $399
How to Design a Bathroom
A bathroom, whether you're building a brand new master bathroom or updating a small guest space, is an intimate place where you spend time both starting and ending your day. Your master bathroom, in particular, is an area where you get ready in the morning, before a night out, and if you love to soak in the tub, relax after your work is done and on weekends.
Planning the perfect bathroom can ensure you have the dream space you've always desired, even if you have limited square footage. Use this guide from Pottery Barn to help you plan whether you are building, remodeling or even updating your bathroom in style.
Vanities and Sinks
The vanity you choose for your bathroom is perhaps the single most important piece you'll install. In most bathrooms, it's the first thing you see when you walk in the door and the focal point of the room.
There's no hard and fast rule for choosing a bathroom vanity size, but there are some common sizes that work in most spaces. For a powder room, look for a single sink vanity or a pedestal sink style. 24" to a maximum of 36" is ideal in most powder rooms.
For a guest bathroom or a teenager's bathroom, a single sink vanity that's 36" to 60" is generally appropriate. Larger spaces can benefit from 72" vanities.
In the master bathroom, a double sink vanity measuring 60" to 84" is ideal if you have the space. Single sink options also work if you've got a smaller space.
If you're not replacing your current vanity, look to update your bathroom hardware. Hardware has a huge visual impact in a small space like the bathroom.
For small spaces, under-sink storage is a must, especially if that's the only place you're going to have to put things you don't want on display all the time. Even in large bathrooms, under-sink storage can be convenient. If you prefer a modern vanity with open shelving, look to keep your storage area tidy with decorative baskets and neatly folded towels.
If you have more space, freestanding linen storage is a wise idea. You'll be able to keep extra towels handy and have a place for items like hair dryers, extra shampoo and anything else you need to keep handy.
Wall shelves can also be helpful in small bathrooms where you don't have room for freestanding storage.
Shower, Bath or Both
No bathroom is complete without a space for bathing. Even your guest spaces need to offer guests something to help them get ready for the day each morning.
In your master bathroom, a shower and bathtub are ideal since you'll have a way to get clean quickly and relax when you need a little TLC. If your space is large enough, a freestanding shower and separate bathtub are often ideal. For a decorative touch, choose a claw foot bathtub with iron feet.
Not every bathroom can handle a freestanding shower and bathtub. In those spaces, a combination shower and bathtub is preferred. You'll need a little more space than a simple small shower box, but even most small master bathrooms can make this work if they scale other items like the vanity back just a little.
Don't Forget About Lighting
Lighting is obviously important in your bathroom, and if you're remodeling a space, you can likely use the existing overhead lighting. If not, recessed light fixtures are a mainstay in modern bathrooms, even in spaces that are designed with traditional decor.
You don't want to forget about decorative and accent lighting when creating your new bathroom though. If you're simply updating your space, adding new bathroom sconces can add an element of interest and offer more intimate, soft lighting.
4.75" is a common back plate size for wall sconces, but if you're updating an existing space with pre-drilled holes, you'll need to measure yours to be sure. Pay extra attention if your sconces are going on a bathroom mirror -- they'll need to be the right size to mount securely.
Make Your Bathroom a Comfortable, Relaxing Space
Every bathroom needs the creature comforts that we've all come to expect. In a smaller space, you may need to limit the number of hooks or towel bars you use, but every bathroom can benefit from stylish shower curtains, comfortable bath mats and decorative accessories like soap, toothbrush and tissue holders.
Single towel bars and hooks for hand towels are also must-have items. For shared spaces or a master bathroom, double towel bars and robe hooks are ideal.
Designing the perfect bathroom, whether it's a powder room, guest space or master suite, can provide you with an opportunity to get everything just right. Shop Pottery Barn to find everything you need to create the space you've always dreamed of calling your own.