Williams-Sonoma, Inc. Brands support and adhere to the guidelines and practices adopted by the Direct Marketing Association's Privacy Promise to American Consumers. We have agreed to (1) provide customers with notice of their ability to opt out of information rental, sale, or exchange with other marketers; (2) honor customers' requests not to share their contact information with other marketers; and (3) honor customers' requests not to receive mail, telephone, or other solicitations from Williams-Sonoma, Inc. Brands.
Collecting Information About You
Categories and Types of Personal Information We Collect
We collect the following categories and types of personal information:
- Contact Information: your first and last name, postal address, email address, and phone number;
- Other identifying information: IP address, passwords and other security information for authentication and access, social media user names, and cookie identifiers;
- Financial Information: credit card, debit card and bank account information you've used in a transaction with us;
- Demographic information: gender, age, employment information salary range, categorical purchase behavior outside of Williams-Sonoma, Inc. Brands;
- Geolocation data;
- Internet or other electronic activity: your browsing and click history, including information about how you navigate within our services and which elements of our services you use the most;
- Commercial information: products purchased or viewed on our website;
- Audio and visual information: your videos and photos that you've uploaded to our sites, and CCTV images in our stores from security cameras; and
- Inferences drawn from the categories described above in order to create a profile about you to reflect your preferences, characteristics, behavior and attitude.
Categories of Use
We may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- Transactional Purposes: We use your contact information, financial information, and commercial information to:
- Receive, process, confirm, send and track your order, subscription or registration;
- Communicate with you about your order, subscription or registration;
- Process any subscription or registration you make to one of our services; and
- Maintain your "Gift List" through your registry
- Analytical Purposes: We use your other identifying information, internet activity and browsing history, commercial information, demographic information, and geolocation data to analyze preferences, trends and statistics.
- Marketing and Promotional Purposes: We use your contact information, commercial information, demographic information, internet or other electronic activity, geolocation data, and inferences to:
- Inform you of our new products, services and offers;
- Provide you with and measure and optimize targeted advertising;
- Run contests, promotions and sweepstakes,
- Provide you with our loyalty program including earning points and awarding and redeeming certificates; and
- Provide you with other information from and about Williams-Sonoma, Inc. Brands, including personalized marketing communications.
- Maintenance and Improvement of Services and Website: We use your contact information, commercial information, and internet activity and browsing history to:
- Provide and maintain our Design Lab services;
- Provide and maintain functionality on our website, including our live chat or customer review features;
- Handle your customer services requests; and
- Help us diagnose technical and service problems and administer our stores, websites and apps.
- Review and Content Creation Purposes: We use your contact information, commercial information, and audio and visual information to enable reviews of our products and to display content that you have created and allowed us to display on our website and services and on social media and other advertising.
- Security and Fraud Prevention: We use your contact information, other identifying information, commercial information, financial information, geolocation data, internet activity and browsing history, and inferences to protect this website, our company, and others and to prevent fraud, theft and misconduct.
Sources of Personal Information
We collect information from the following sources:
We collect information directly from you. We collect contact and demographic information directly from you. We also collect payment information from you.
We collect information from you passively. We collect Internet or other electronic activity passively using tools like browser cookies. This activity is further described in the Advertising and Online Tracking section below.
We may combine information you give us online, in our stores, or through our catalogs. We may also combine that information with publicly available information and information we receive from or cross-reference with third parties. We use that combined information to enhance and personalize your shopping experience with us, to communicate with you directly about our products and events that may be of interest to you, and for other promotional and commercial purposes.
When We Share Information with Third Parties
Our Service Providers
We may contract with companies or persons to provide certain services including credit card processing, shipping, data analysis and management, promotional services, etc. We call them our Service Providers. We provide our Service Providers with the information needed for them to perform these services. We also ask our Service Providers to confirm that their privacy practices are consistent with ours.
Our Select Partners
From time to time we might establish a business relationship with other persons or entities whom we believe trustworthy and whom we have asked to confirm that their privacy policies are consistent with ours. These are known as our Select Partners. In such cases we might rent, exchange, share and/or cross-reference information, including contact information about you that will enable such persons or entities to contact you regarding products and services that may be of interest to you.
We may share personal information with businesses controlling, controlled by, or under common control with any Williams-Sonoma, Inc. Brands.
Law Enforcement and Courts
In certain instances we may disclose your contact information when we have reason to believe that it is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against persons or entities who may be causing injury to you, to Williams-Sonoma, Inc. Brands or to others. We may also disclose your contact information when we believe the law or legal process requires it.
If you would like to opt out of accepting cookies altogether, you can generally set your browser to not accept cookies or to notify you when you are sent a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether or not to accept it. However, certain features of our web sites or other services may not work if you delete or disable cookies.
We use Google Analytics on our web sites to collect usage data, to analyze how users use the web sites and to provide advertisements to you on other websites. For more information about how to opt out of having your information used by Google Analytics, visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
Advertising and Online Tracking
Opting Out Of Marketing And Transfers; Updating Information About You
We want to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us. If you prefer not to receive direct marketing from us or from our Select Partners, or if you would like to opt out of our rental or exchange of your information with other marketers, please let us know. In the U.S., you can call us at 800.541.1262 or send us an email. Outside of the U.S., you can call us at 405.717.6139 or send us an email. Please be sure to include your full name, email address, mailing address, and specifically what information you do not want to receive. If you would like to update or correct your email address, mailing address or other contact information with us please contact us the same way. If you like, you may use one of the following statements in your message to us:
- I prefer not to receive email advertisements, such as updates regarding products and services, special promotions or upcoming events.
- I prefer not to receive direct mail advertisements, such as periodic catalogs and mailings regarding products and services, special promotions or upcoming events.
- I prefer not to have my contact information provided to third parties for their marketing purposes.
You may also click the designated link at the bottom of all email advertisements to be removed from future email updates.
Please note that any requests to remove or update your contact information may take up to 5days for your email request and 6-8 weeks for your postal mail request to be processed.
We may need to contact you via phone, email or mail to address questions or issues specific to your order, entry, etc., even if you have opted to not receive marketing communications from us. We contact you only in ways compatible with your communications choices. To the extent necessary for such purposes, we take reasonable steps to make sure that your contact information is accurate, complete, current, and otherwise reliable.
California Customer Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, you have certain privacy rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA Rights"). This section describes those rights and how you can exercise them with Williams-Sonoma, Inc. Brands.
CCPA Rights Requests
Right to Know and Right to Deletion
You can request what personal information we have collected, used, disclosed, and sold in the preceding 12 months.
You can also request that we delete your personal information. We may not delete all of your personal information if one of the following exceptions applies:
- Transactional: to complete a transaction for which the personal information was collected, provide a good or service requested by you, or perform a contract we have with you;
- Security: to detect data security incidents;
- Error Correction: to debug or repair any errors;
- Legal: to protect against fraud or illegal activity or to comply with applicable law or a legal obligation, or exercise rights under the law, such as the right to free speech; or
- Internal Use: to use your personal information, internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided the information (i.e. to improve our services).
Please note that if we delete your personal information, many of our services will not work the same. Some examples include, but are not limited to:
- Returns: We will not have the ability to look up your receipt or order in our system. In order to process a return or refund, we will require proof of purchase from the customer and if the customer is unable to provide proof of purchase, the transaction will be treated as an unreceipted return in accordance with our return policy.
- Customer Service: Our ability to handle customer service requests may be limited. We will not have the ability to look up prior orders or account information and may request proof of purchase in order to service your needs.
- Online Account & Shopping: Your online account will no longer exist. Your shopping cart items, order history, saved addresses, saved recipes and any other saved preferences in your online account will no longer be available.
- Loyalty Program: You will lose your loyalty account and any points earned as part of your participation in Key Rewards. You will not be able to accrue loyalty points moving forward. Any existing reward certificates will be honored. You will also no longer be eligible for loyalty specific benefits such as exclusive events and early access offers.
- Recalls: We will no longer be able to contact you via email, regular mail, or phone about product recalls related to products you purchased, unless you provided your information to us by returning a product registration card attached to a durable infant product.
- Gift Registry: You will no longer be able to view or add items to your gift registry. Reference to your name in a joint registry will be deleted.
- Marketing Communications: We will no longer be able to provide you with any marketing communications directly from our family of brands, including personalized marketing communication such as information about new products, services and offers tailored to your interests.
- Opt Outs: Previous opt-out requests will not be saved.
To submit a request to know or a request to delete, please visit the Truyo Portal. In order to verify your identity, you will need to provide at least three of the following pieces of your information: name, telephone number, e-mail address, mailing address, and last transaction amount. We will match this information to the information on our systems. For an online request to delete, we will also send you a second verification to confirm that you want your information to be deleted. In order to designate an authorized agent to act on your behalf you must provide the authorized agent with written permission to do so, and your authorized agent must submit that written proof at the time they make the request on your behalf. If you wish to make multiple requests under this section, we recommend sending the deletion request last, as we will not be able to fulfill your other requests once we have deleted your information. We will maintain a record of your request to know or request to delete.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Personal Information that We Sell
We may "sell" (as sell is defined in CCPA) the following categories of personal information:
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California and federal law;
- Internet/electronic activity;
- Commercial information; and
- Inferences drawn from the categories described above in order to create a profile about you to reflect your preferences, characteristics, preferences, behavior and attitudes.
We "sell" your personal information to Select Partners and to digital advertising networks. We do not knowingly sell the personal information of minors under the age of 16.
Right to Opt Out of Sale
California residents have the right to opt out of the sale of your personal information to third parties, as "sale" is defined under CCPA.
To submit a request to opt out of the sale of your personal information, please visit the Truyo Portal. In order to designate an authorized agent to act on your behalf you must provide the authorized agent with written permission to do so, and your authorized agent must submit that written proof at the time they make the request on your behalf.
We participate in digital advertising networks to deliver advertising that is tailored to your interests. The participation in certain ad networks can constitute a "sale" of personal information under CCPA. In order to opt out of this activity, please visit optout.aboutads.info and optout.networkadvertising.org.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA Rights and we will not deny you goods or services, charge you a different price, or provide you with a lesser quality of goods or services if you exercise any of your CCPA Rights.
We offer various financial incentives. The terms of the financial incentive will be presented to you at the time you sign up. You may withdraw from any of the financial incentives by contacting us at 800.541.1262, email or by unsubscribing to our email marketing by vising our website. The value of your data is the value of the offer presented to you. We have calculated the value of the incentive by using the expense related to the offer.
International Customer Privacy
When we identify that your order is one that will be shipped internationally, we work with Borderfree to complete your order. On the checkout page, you will be required to submit credit card and contact information (name, billing address, shipping address, email address and phone number) to Borderfree to complete your order. Upon completion of your order, Borderfree will notify us of the approval of your order, and we will then ship approved orders to Borderfree. Simultaneously, Borderfree will purchase the product from us, which allows them to take title to the product(s), bill your credit card, collect and remit any duties and taxes to the appropriate taxing authority and arrange for the product to be delivered to you. In this process, Borderfree makes the sale to you as the merchant of record. When ordering a product, you will be presented with Borderfree's terms and conditions to which you must agree in order to receive the product(s) you ordered.
If you choose to provide Williams-Sonoma, Inc. Brands with your information, you consent to the transfer and storage of that information on our servers located in the United States.
We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect the confidentiality and security of information transmitted to us. Unfortunately, however, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your contact information, to the extent permitted by law, we do not guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to or from our web sites, and you do so at your own risk.
We urge you to keep any password that you establish with us in a safe place and not to divulge it to anyone. We also encourage you to use a unique or different password for our websites. Also remember to log off your account and close your browser window when you have finished your visit. This is to ensure that others cannot access your account, especially if you are sharing a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that any of your children has provided us with personal information without your consent, please contact us and we will take steps to remove that information from our servers.
Links to Third Party Web Sites
Effective Date: January 1, 2020