- Metal Etagere $199 – $299
- Ultimate Storage Stool $129
- Rattan Stool $129
- Stella Powder Room Mirror $349
- Newport Wall Cabinet $22 – $349
- Rainier Bath Storage $79
- Mercer Double Hook $24
- Ainsley Over-the-Toilet Ladder with Baskets $299
- Benchwright Ladder Floor Storage $119 – $249
- Sussex Glass Shelf $59 – $69
- Ironing Board Hanger $59
- Davis Single Wide Sink Vanity with Drawers $109 – $2,799 Sale $109 – $2,239.99
- Classic Floor Mirror $449
- Sussex Triple Glass Shelf $149
- Mercer Triple Glass Shelf $199
- Holman Shelves $79 – $199
- Vintage Pivot Mirror $249 – $349
- Kensington Pivot Rectangular Mirror $249 – $349
- Vintage Recessed Medicine Cabinet $279 – $379
- Bevel Rectangular Mirrors $249 – $399 Special $174 – $279
- Havana Utility Baskets $24.50 – $39
- Rustic Wood Shelves $79 – $149
- Kensington Pivot Wide Rectangular Mirror $349
- Astor Double-Width Mirror $499
- Mason Reclaimed Wood Single Sink Vanity - Wax Pine Finish $1,999
- Classic Double Wide Mirror $449
- Kensington Pivot Round Mirror $349 – $399
- Kensington Mirror $249 – $349
- Eagan Multipanel Mirror - Small $299 Special $209
- Vintage Fixed Mirror $249 – $349
- Kensington Pivot Oval Mirror $349 – $399
- Classic Mirror $149 – $249
- Havana Lidded Baskets $29 – $59
- Vintage Round Mirror $299
- Samantha Seagrass Baskets $39.50 – $132
- Astor Recessed Medicine Cabinet $449
- Mercer Glass Shelf $79 – $89
- Perry Paper Holder - Havana Weave $49
- Mercer Towel Bar $49 – $59
- Havana Underbed Baskets $29 – $49
- Hundi Flush Mount $299
- Pearson Towel Ring $44
- Paulsen Reclaimed Wood Vanity $1,799
- Pearson Shade Sconce $99 – $189
- Mercer Towel Ring $34
- Mercer Paper Holder $39
- Mercer Double Sconce $139
- Mercer Triple Sconce $189
- Benchwright Reclaimed Wood Double Sink Vanity - Wax Pine Finish $3,599
- Eleanor Frameless Mirrors $99 – $129 Special $69 – $90
- Astor Beveled Mirror $349
- Classic Linen Closet $999
- Sausalito Single Sink Vanity $1,799
- Turner Rectangle Mirror $89 Special $58
- Matilda Wall Cabinet $249
- Hayden Paper Holder $49
- PB Classic Straight Arm Sconce - Flared Glass $150 – $300
- Sussex Tube Sconce $139 – $269
- Davis Asymmetric Single Sink Vanity with Drawers $109 – $2,199 Sale $109 – $1,759.99
- Savannah Lidded Baskets $29 – $59
- Sussex Double Tube Sconce $189
- Hewitt Pivot Mirror $399
- Upton Mirror $329 Special $218
- Mercer Bathtub Caddy $79
- Perry Hamper & Liner- Savannah Weave $129
- Hayden Towel Bar $59 – $69
- Gabrielle System - Canvas Hanging Hamper $24.50 – $69
- Gabrielle Laundry System, 6 Piece Set $359
- Clarissa Crystal Drop Flush Mount $299
- Vintage Swivel Mirror $299
- Kensington Recessed Medicine Cabinet $349 – $449
- Pearson Paper Holder $49
- Savannah Utility Baskets $39
- Classic Sink Console Hardware Sale $6 – $49
- Hotel Wall-Mounted Medicine Cabinet $279 – $379
- Modern Sink Console Hardware Sale $15 – $99
- Hayden Fixture Set $179
- Mercer Double Towel Bar $79
- Classic Single Wide Sink Vanity - Gray $1,899
- Sussex Towel Ring $34
- Havana Oval Magazine Basket $29
- Hayden Towel Ring $44
- Perry Hamper & Liner- Havana Weave $129
- Perry Divided Hamper & Liner- Havana Weave $179
- Mason Apothecary Single Sink Vanity $1,099
- Sussex Triple Sconce $189
- Beachcomber Wood Handled Basket $99
- Beachcomber Lidded Basket $99
- Benchwright Mirror $449 Special $314
- Savannah Underbed Baskets $29 – $49
- PB Classic Flush Mount - Vintage Glass $179 – $199
- Hayden Flush Mount $179
- Mercer Train Rack $199
- Sussex Towel Bar $49 – $59
- Mercer Single Sconce $89 – $169
- Sussex Shade Sconce $129 – $249
- Mercer Hook $19
- Ainsley Ladder Floor Storage with Baskets $279
- Classic Recessed Medicine Cabinet $249 – $349
- Benchwright Paper Holder $69
- Rattan Wall-Mount Shelves $99
- Pearson Towel Bar $59 – $69
- Mercer Double Horizontal Sconce $149
- Davis Single Sink Vanity $109 – $1,499
- Mercer Single Tube Sconce $139 – $269
- Santorini Painted Mirror $399 Special $265
- Eagan Multipanel Extra Small Mirror $299 Special $198
- Miranda Capiz Mirror $399
- Classic Wall-Mounted Medicine Cabinet $249 – $349
- Clermont Recessed Medicine Cabinet $349 – $449
- Modern Farmhouse Sink Vanity $1,299
- Sussex Paper Holder $39
- Modular Floor Storage $29 – $249
- Jacquelyne Recycling Bin Basket $89
- Benchwright Reclaimed Wood Single Sink Vanity - Wax Pine Finish $2,499
- Pearson Fixture Set $179
- Hotel Recessed Medicine Cabinet $279 – $379 Sale $219.99 – $379
How to Design a Bathroom
A bathroom, whether you're building a brand new master bathroom or updating a small guest space, is an intimate place where you spend time both starting and ending your day. Your master bathroom, in particular, is an area where you get ready in the morning, before a night out, and if you love to soak in the tub, relax after your work is done and on weekends.
Planning the perfect bathroom can ensure you have the dream space you've always desired, even if you have limited square footage. Use this guide from Pottery Barn to help you plan whether you are building, remodeling or even updating your bathroom in style.
Vanities and Sinks
The vanity you choose for your bathroom is perhaps the single most important piece you'll install. In most bathrooms, it's the first thing you see when you walk in the door and the focal point of the room.
There's no hard and fast rule for choosing a bathroom vanity size, but there are some common sizes that work in most spaces. For a powder room, look for a single sink vanity or a pedestal sink style. 24" to a maximum of 36" is ideal in most powder rooms.
For a guest bathroom or a teenager's bathroom, a single sink vanity that's 36" to 60" is generally appropriate. Larger spaces can benefit from 72" vanities.
In the master bathroom, a double sink vanity measuring 60" to 84" is ideal if you have the space. Single sink options also work if you've got a smaller space.
If you're not replacing your current vanity, look to update your bathroom hardware. Hardware has a huge visual impact in a small space like the bathroom.
For small spaces, under-sink storage is a must, especially if that's the only place you're going to have to put things you don't want on display all the time. Even in large bathrooms, under-sink storage can be convenient. If you prefer a modern vanity with open shelving, look to keep your storage area tidy with decorative baskets and neatly folded towels.
If you have more space, freestanding linen storage is a wise idea. You'll be able to keep extra towels handy and have a place for items like hair dryers, extra shampoo and anything else you need to keep handy.
Wall shelves can also be helpful in small bathrooms where you don't have room for freestanding storage.
Shower, Bath or Both
No bathroom is complete without a space for bathing. Even your guest spaces need to offer guests something to help them get ready for the day each morning.
In your master bathroom, a shower and bathtub are ideal since you'll have a way to get clean quickly and relax when you need a little TLC. If your space is large enough, a freestanding shower and separate bathtub are often ideal. For a decorative touch, choose a claw foot bathtub with iron feet.
Not every bathroom can handle a freestanding shower and bathtub. In those spaces, a combination shower and bathtub is preferred. You'll need a little more space than a simple small shower box, but even most small master bathrooms can make this work if they scale other items like the vanity back just a little.
Don't Forget About Lighting
Lighting is obviously important in your bathroom, and if you're remodeling a space, you can likely use the existing overhead lighting. If not, recessed light fixtures are a mainstay in modern bathrooms, even in spaces that are designed with traditional decor.
You don't want to forget about decorative and accent lighting when creating your new bathroom though. If you're simply updating your space, adding new bathroom sconces can add an element of interest and offer more intimate, soft lighting.
4.75" is a common back plate size for wall sconces, but if you're updating an existing space with pre-drilled holes, you'll need to measure yours to be sure. Pay extra attention if your sconces are going on a bathroom mirror -- they'll need to be the right size to mount securely.
Make Your Bathroom a Comfortable, Relaxing Space
Every bathroom needs the creature comforts that we've all come to expect. In a smaller space, you may need to limit the number of hooks or towel bars you use, but every bathroom can benefit from stylish shower curtains, comfortable bath mats and decorative accessories like soap, toothbrush and tissue holders.
Single towel bars and hooks for hand towels are also must-have items. For shared spaces or a master bathroom, double towel bars and robe hooks are ideal.
Designing the perfect bathroom, whether it's a powder room, guest space or master suite, can provide you with an opportunity to get everything just right. Shop Pottery Barn to find everything you need to create the space you've always dreamed of calling your own.