- Metal Etagere $199 – $299
- Ainsley Over-the-Toilet Ladder with Baskets $299
- Mercer Bathtub Caddy $79
- Ultimate Storage Stool $129
- Rattan Stool $129
- Rainier Bath Storage $79
- Ironing Board Hanger $59
- Modular Floor Storage $29 – $249
- Benchwright Ladder Floor Storage $119 – $249
- Vintage Floor Storage $299
- Perry Waste Basket - Savannah Weave $34
- Gabrielle System - Canvas Hanging Hamper $24.50 – $69
- Davis Single Wide Sink Vanity with Drawers $109 – $2,799 Sale $109 – $2,239.99
- Mercer Standing Paper Storage $59
- Mercer Double Hook $24 Special $22
- Stella Powder Room Mirror $349
- Sussex Glass Shelf $59 – $69
- simplehuman® Sensor Mirror Pro $250
- Vintage Glass Oval Knob $9.50
- Rustic Mirror $299
- Sussex Towel Ring $34
- Havana Oval Magazine Basket $29
- Hayden Towel Ring $44
- Benchwright Single Sink Vanity - Rustic Mahogany Finish $2,499 Special $2,374
- Sonoma Wall-Mounted Medicine Cabinet $249 – $349
- Classic Single Wide Sink Vanity - Gray $1,899
- Covington Hotel Double Sconce $219
- Classic Hardware 3" Thin Pull $9.50
- Sussex Flush Mount $179
- Rustic Wood Shelves $79 – $149
- Mason Single Sink Vanity - Rustic Mahogany Finish $1,999 Special $1,899
- Langford Pressure Balance Cross-Handle Bathtub & Shower Faucet Set $1,099
- Havana Utility Baskets $24.50 – $39
- Havana Underbed Baskets $29 – $49
- PB Classic ADA Handrail $299 Sale $129.99
- Perry Hamper & Liner- Havana Weave $129
- Benchwright Double Sink Vanity - Rustic Mahogany Finish $3,599 Special $3,419
- Pearson Hook $29
- Mercer Standing Paper Holder $79
- Benchwright Tube Sconce $239 – $469
- Jacquelyne Recycling Bin Basket $89
- Benchwright Single Sconce $189 – $369
- Piedmont Double Sink Vanity - Espresso $2,299
- Classic Floor Mirror $449
- Vintage Fixtures $179
- Bevel Rectangular Mirrors $249 – $399
- Classic Hardware Knob $7.50
- Sussex Fixture Set $139
- PB Classic Straight Arm Sconce - Vintage Glass $160 – $320
- Astor Recessed Medicine Cabinet $449
- Hayden Fixture Set $179
- Mercer Glass Shelf $79 – $89 Special $75 – $84
- Classic Double Sink Vanity - Gray $2,399
- Bevel Square Mirror $149
- Victoria Thermostatic Cross-Handle Bathtub & Hand-Held Shower Faucet Set $2,099
- Victoria Cross-Handle Widespread Bathroom Faucet $599
- Alcott Triple Sconce $289
- Kensington Pivot Wide Rectangular Mirror $349
- Custom Classic Double Sink Vanity with Drawer Storage - Carrara Marble $49 – $2,899
- simplehuman® Shower Caddy $60 – $70
- Mason Apothecary Single Sink Vanity $1,099
- Hayden Single Tube Sconce $179 – $349
- Covington Multi-Hook $34
- Marble-Top Sundry Tower $499
- Classic Single Sink Mini Vanity - Gray $999
- Amelia Vanity Mirror $229
- Custom Classic Asymmetric Single Sink Vanity with Door Storage - Carrara Marble $29 – $1,899
- Mercer Double Towel Bar $79 Special $75
- Abbott Single Sink Vanity $2,199
- Sussex Triple Glass Shelf $149
- Covington Hotel Single Sconce $159 – $309 Sale $159 – $179.99
- Custom Classic Single 36" Sink Vanity - White $1,699
- Hayden Single Traditional Sconce $129 – $249
- Sussex Single Sink Pedestal $499
- Modern Farmhouse Hardware - Set of 2 $22
- Exton Lever-Handle Widespread Bathroom Faucet $599
- Newport Single Mini Sink Vanity $1,199
- Sussex Paper Holder with Glass Shelf $49
- Perry Paper Holder - Havana Weave $49
- Mercer Towel Bar $49 – $59 Special $46 – $56
- Sussex Magazine Rack $99
- Pearson Tube Sconce $219 – $429
- Hewitt Towel Stand $249
- Hundi Flush Mount $299
- Hayden Double Tube Sconce $229
- Apothecary Double Sink Vanity $3,399
- Warby Pressure Balance Cross-Handle Shower Faucet Set $999
- Rattan Floor Storage $199
- Custom Classic Mini Sink Vanity with Drawers - Carrara Marble $29 – $1,199
- Holman Shelves $79 – $199
- Victoria Pressure Balance Cross-Handle Bathtub & Shower Faucet Set $1,099
- Classic Hardware 3" Cup Bin $7.50
- Vintage Towel Ring $44
- Newport Wall Cabinet $22 – $349
- Covington Hotel Triple Sconce $269
- Pearson Single Sconce $159 – $309
- Newport Single Sink Vanity $1,699
- Savannah Underbed Baskets $29 – $49
- Mercer Paper Holder $39 Special $37
- Mason Double Sink Vanity - Rustic Mahogany Finish $3,299
- Santorini Painted Floor Mirror $599
- Mason Reclaimed Wood Single Sink Vanity - Wax Pine Finish $1,999 Special $1,899
- Mercer Towel Ring $34 Special $32
- PB Classic Flush Mount - Vintage Glass $179 – $199
- Benchwright Mirror $449
- Hewitt Towel Bar $69
- Hewitt Towel Ring $44
- Jacquelyne Wood Handled Basket $79
- Perry Divided Hamper & Liner- Havana Weave $179
- Reyes Pressure Balance Lever-Handle Bathtub & Shower Faucet Set $1,099
- Pearson Towel Ring $44
- Hewitt Sink Faucet $599
- Beehive Sconce $89 – $169
- Pitted 3" Pull $12.50
- Classic Sink Console Hardware Sale $6 – $49
- PB Classic Industrial Flush Mount - Ribbed Glass $139 – $199
- Beachcomber Lidded Basket $99
How to Design a Bathroom
A bathroom, whether you're building a brand new master bathroom or updating a small guest space, is an intimate place where you spend time both starting and ending your day. Your master bathroom, in particular, is an area where you get ready in the morning, before a night out, and if you love to soak in the tub, relax after your work is done and on weekends.
Planning the perfect bathroom can ensure you have the dream space you've always desired, even if you have limited square footage. Use this guide from Pottery Barn to help you plan whether you are building, remodeling or even updating your bathroom in style.
Vanities and Sinks
The vanity you choose for your bathroom is perhaps the single most important piece you'll install. In most bathrooms, it's the first thing you see when you walk in the door and the focal point of the room.
There's no hard and fast rule for choosing a bathroom vanity size, but there are some common sizes that work in most spaces. For a powder room, look for a single sink vanity or a pedestal sink style. 24" to a maximum of 36" is ideal in most powder rooms.
For a guest bathroom or a teenager's bathroom, a single sink vanity that's 36" to 60" is generally appropriate. Larger spaces can benefit from 72" vanities.
In the master bathroom, a double sink vanity measuring 60" to 84" is ideal if you have the space. Single sink options also work if you've got a smaller space.
If you're not replacing your current vanity, look to update your bathroom hardware. Hardware has a huge visual impact in a small space like the bathroom.
For small spaces, under-sink storage is a must, especially if that's the only place you're going to have to put things you don't want on display all the time. Even in large bathrooms, under-sink storage can be convenient. If you prefer a modern vanity with open shelving, look to keep your storage area tidy with decorative baskets and neatly folded towels.
If you have more space, freestanding linen storage is a wise idea. You'll be able to keep extra towels handy and have a place for items like hair dryers, extra shampoo and anything else you need to keep handy.
Wall shelves can also be helpful in small bathrooms where you don't have room for freestanding storage.
Shower, Bath or Both
No bathroom is complete without a space for bathing. Even your guest spaces need to offer guests something to help them get ready for the day each morning.
In your master bathroom, a shower and bathtub are ideal since you'll have a way to get clean quickly and relax when you need a little TLC. If your space is large enough, a freestanding shower and separate bathtub are often ideal. For a decorative touch, choose a claw foot bathtub with iron feet.
Not every bathroom can handle a freestanding shower and bathtub. In those spaces, a combination shower and bathtub is preferred. You'll need a little more space than a simple small shower box, but even most small master bathrooms can make this work if they scale other items like the vanity back just a little.
Don't Forget About Lighting
Lighting is obviously important in your bathroom, and if you're remodeling a space, you can likely use the existing overhead lighting. If not, recessed light fixtures are a mainstay in modern bathrooms, even in spaces that are designed with traditional decor.
You don't want to forget about decorative and accent lighting when creating your new bathroom though. If you're simply updating your space, adding new bathroom sconces can add an element of interest and offer more intimate, soft lighting.
4.75" is a common back plate size for wall sconces, but if you're updating an existing space with pre-drilled holes, you'll need to measure yours to be sure. Pay extra attention if your sconces are going on a bathroom mirror -- they'll need to be the right size to mount securely.
Make Your Bathroom a Comfortable, Relaxing Space
Every bathroom needs the creature comforts that we've all come to expect. In a smaller space, you may need to limit the number of hooks or towel bars you use, but every bathroom can benefit from stylish shower curtains, comfortable bath mats and decorative accessories like soap, toothbrush and tissue holders.
Single towel bars and hooks for hand towels are also must-have items. For shared spaces or a master bathroom, double towel bars and robe hooks are ideal.
Designing the perfect bathroom, whether it's a powder room, guest space or master suite, can provide you with an opportunity to get everything just right. Shop Pottery Barn to find everything you need to create the space you've always dreamed of calling your own.