Seating for Every Style
Choose from a range of seats that will transform the look of your table.
Know Your Dining Table Details to Create the Perfect Space for Your Friends and Family
Finishing your dining room right doesn't have to be difficult. You do need to know what kind of dining table details will work in your space though. Use this guide from Pottery Barn to perfect the look of your dining area today.
Table Base Styles
Your table is a big part of your dining room decor, so it needs to work with your overall design. Here are a few popular styles you can shop for:
- Traditional four-leg styles. The go-to look in most rooms, four-leg tables are refined, elegant and simple. They're available in modern and more traditional looks.
- Trestle base tables. Going for an old-school look? Maybe you're working with some antiques or family heirlooms? Trestle base tables add a lot of style to your room and help fill large spaces with beautiful decorative details.
- Double pedestal styles. Ideal for transitional rooms, double pedestal tables add heft and weight to your space while giving a more open look than trestle base options.
- X-base styles. Perfect for more modern design schemes, X-base tables are contemporary and airy even if they're made from solid wood. They work especially well in mid-century styled rooms too.
No table is complete without ample seating for everyone you want to share a meal with. While the size of your table will dictate how many people can sit around it, there are some dining table details you need to know when it comes to seating. Here are the most popular seating options you can find at Pottery Barn:
- Upholstered chairs. Going for comfort and a classic appearance? Upholstered chairs in neutral tones, printed patterns and vibrant colors can get you there. Find armchairs and armless options to create a stunning table.
- Leather chairs. Leather never goes out of style, and with leather chairs around your table, you'll have a luxurious look you'll love for years. Best of all, you can choose from traditional styles, vintage looks and ultra-modern designs.
- Wood, woven and metal chairs. Looking for a durable chair with sophisticated style? Wood, woven and metal chairs can fit the bill in modern spaces, transitional design schemes and retro-inspired rooms. Woven chairs in wicker and rattan even work in more traditional spaces.
- Bench seating. Great for smaller spaces or getting more people around the table, low-profile benches can be used alone or with chairs. Try using a bench against a wall in a tight seating area to save room. Wood benches and wood and metal combination benches work well in many different rooms.
When it comes to serving the perfect meal, it really does start with your table. Whether you're updating your formal dining room, outfitting your kitchen eating area or building a new home from scratch, we've got the right tables and seating options to match your look. Make sure you take a few minutes to browse our collection of stylish buffets and sideboards while you're at it. Then you'll really have the perfect dining room!