- Manchester Upholstered Swivel Desk Chair $499 – $799 Sale $398.99 – $799
- Manchester Leather Swivel Desk Chair $799 – $899
- Radcliffe Tufted Swivel Desk Chair $699 – $949
- Radcliffe Tufted Leather Swivel Desk Chair $869 – $999
- Lorraine Tufted Chair $399 – $849
- Wells Leather Swivel Desk Chair $1,099
- Hayes Tufted Swivel Desk Chair $599 – $849
- Hayes Tufted Leather Swivel Desk Chair $759 – $899
- Nash Swivel Desk Chair $699 – $1,099
- Everlee Swivel Desk Chair $799
- Reeves Swivel Desk Chair $599 – $849
- Reeves Leather Swivel Desk Chair $799 – $899
- Hughes Upholstered Chair $499 – $749
- Fowler High Back Swivel Desk Chair $489 – $609
- Fowler Low Back Swivel Desk Chair $459 – $579
- Fowler Armless Swivel Desk Chair $439
- Louis Square Desk Chair $299
- Louis Desk Chair $299
- Wingate Rattan Swivel Desk Chair $599
- Pittsburgh Chair $399
- Dublin Upholstered Swivel Desk Chair $299 – $549
- Dublin Leather Swivel Desk Chair $499 – $599
- Chalmers Low Back Swivel Desk Chair $489
- Chalmers High Back Swivel Desk Chair $529
- Cohen Upholstered Desk Chair $199 – $449
- Cohen Leather Desk Chair $449 – $549
- Masterson Leather Swivel Desk Chair $939
- Masterson Velvet Desk Chair $939
- Ryker Upholstered Swivel Desk Chair $299 – $549
- Ryker Leather Swivel Desk Chair $499 – $599
- Lucia Chair $299 Sale $238.99
- Holt Swivel Desk Chair $499 Sale $198.99
- Everett Leather Swivel Desk Chair $649 – $749
- Everett Upholstered Swivel Desk Chair $399 – $649
- Irwin Swivel Desk Chair $229
- Paige Acrylic Swivel Desk Chair $399
- Belden Leather Swivel Desk Chair $899
- Belden Linen Swivel Desk Chair $549
- Belden Velvet Swivel Desk Chair $549
- Costa Swivel Desk Chair $519
- Elliot Swivel Desk Chair $649 Sale $518.99
- Humanscale®Smart Ocean Desk Chair $1,349 – $1,452
- Humanscale® Diffrient World Mesh Desk Chair $980 – $1,000
- Humanscale Diffrient World Desk Chair $1,052
- Humanscale® Freedom Task Desk Chair $1,180
- Humanscale® Freedom Task Desk Chair With Headrest $1,389
- Reed Swivel Desk Chair $569
- Bonita High Back Swivel Desk Chair $469
- Francis Swivel Desk Chair $529
- Airgo Swivel Desk Chair $299 Sale $238.99
- Ashton Swivel Desk Chair $599 Sale $478.99
- Maxx Metal Dining Chair $199 Special $139
- Lombard Dining Chair $259
Desk Chairs & Home Office Chairs
Though you might be used to having a desk chair provided for you at a workplace, when it comes to purchasing a new chair for your home, you’re in control. Let our seating experts at Pottery Barn give you essential tips to make sure you select the best option for your needs. If you’re going to spend a lot of time seated, you’ll want to make sure you choose a chair for your comfort above all else. Highly adjustable chairs are meant to fit all types of body types, office desks and work surface configurations.
Today’s desk chairs now come in all types of materials, ranging from leather to leatherette and fabric to non-stretch, low-abrasion mesh. The choice of fabric is personal, depending on whether or not you prefer the extreme breathability and subtle bounce of open-weave mesh or polyurethane bands or the plush padding and cushioning of other materials. If you prefer sitting on a hard seat, opt for all-wood and then add a separate cushion if and when needed.
Low or high, look for a backrest with a tilt mechanism that has one or more locking positions. An ideal backrest should follow the lines of your back and support your lower back and give you that “ahh” sensation as soon as you settle into the chair. Every body is different so it pays to sample chairs to find the best backrest for you.
Not every chair has a headrest and not everyone appreciates a headrest. For many, a high backrest works just fine. A headrest is ideal if you are susceptible to neck pain or want to make certain you’re sitting in perfect posture. A headrest encourages better posture, which helps you avoid hunching over when you work. If you spend many of your hours at work on the phone, a headrest is ideal for long conversations because you’ll be able to rest while reclining instead of straining your neck. Opt for a height-adjustable and pivoting headrest if possible, so you can personalize its positioning to suit your needs.
When it comes to comfort, it’s a personal choice whether you want a chair with or without arms. For many, arms may be more confining while they might add comfort and stability for others. If you choose arms for a chair that you sit in for long periods of time, consider wider padded and height-adjustable arms that pivot out of the way for comfort. If you work at a desk with a retractable keyboard tray, you may need to consider adjustable arms, as well. Not every chair has height-adjustable arms so make sure the arm placement also gives you that “ahh” sensation.
When you sit back into a desk chair, whether it’s padded or not, make certain you feel completely comfortable and that your lower back and upper thighs feel completely at ease on the seat. Make sure you don’t feel any pressure or discomfort where your knees intersect with the seat’s edge.
If you sit at your desk for any length of time, it’s normal to fidget and move around, and chairs on caster wheels help you freely roll around without unnecessary strain. Wheels and swiveling bases help you to quickly reach items around your work area. For extra stability and balance on highly adjustable chairs, consider a chair with a five-star base (with five wheels). A four-wheel base is fine if the chair is small and has a non-adjustable, non-tilting back.
Remember to make sure your feet rest flat on the floor when you sit on your chair. A chair mat will help you roll around easier and save your carpet, too. Use this helpful information to make the selection that’s right for your needs.