Shop By Room
Design inspiration for every room in your home
Unique and Elegant Bedroom Ideas
Your bedroom is not just a place for sleeping and dressing, but it is also your own personal sanctuary within the home. Whether you've just moved into a new home or are looking to redecorate, your finished bedroom should make you feel relaxed and comfortable and reflect your unique style. Pottery Barn's gallery of bedroom ideas feature photographs of expertly-designed rooms in modern and traditional styles and everything in between. You can also click on each photograph to shop the room and find the furniture, linens and decorative items that complete the design.
When planning your new bedroom design, bedroom furniture is one of the most important elements to consider. You can mix and match different furniture pieces or shop for coordinated bedroom sets which feature matching bed frames, nightstands and dressers. Dark bedroom furniture gives the room dramatic flair while bedroom furniture in light shades opens up the space and makes the room feel airier.
Since the bed is often the focal point in the bedroom, changing the headboard can dramatically change the look of the room. There are a wide variety of headboards to choose from at Pottery Barn.
- Wooden headboards range from basic bed panels to panels with intricate carvings and elegant crown molding.
- Wooden storage headboards feature shelves or compartments for storing small items like books and picture frames.
- Basic upholstered headboards add softness and femininity to any bedroom.
- Fancy upholstered headboards feature fun details like patterned fabrics, button detailing and nailhead trim that will really stand out against neutral bedsheets.
- Canopy headboards feature four posts that can support sheer fabric curtains, adding privacy and elegance to your bed.
While your bedroom ideas may focus on the decorative accents in the room, proper storage solutions are crucial in a well-functioning bedroom. If you have a large closet, consider adding shelves and cabinets instead of just a basic clothing rod to increase the function.
For books, decorative trinkets and folded clothing, a basic bookshelf is a great storage tool. Shop wooden bookcases for traditional bedrooms or painted wood or metal bookshelves for modern spaces. If you need more hidden storage, consider adding an upholstered bench to your bedroom. Though they are commonly used in front entryways as mudroom storage, these storage benches are the perfect size to sit at the foot of your bed. The upholstered top surface adds extra seating to the room while the hidden interior storage keeps clutter contained.
Have fun choosing bedroom decor that not only fits your theme but also shows off your unique design personality. Keep it simple by choosing decorative items within one color family or add splashes of contrasting color throughout the space.
- Dress the bed with duvets or quilts and sheets that not only look great but feel great. Add color and texture with pretty decorative pillows and throw blankets.
- Layer a rug on the floor near the bed to add color and softness to your floors.
- Hang a stunning chandelier, pendant light or other elegant light fixture as the room's main light source.
- Place twin lamps or wall sconces near the bed to use as reading lights. Choose lights that fit with the room's overall style.
- Hang a piece of artwork or a mirror on each wall to brighten up the space and add personality to blank walls.
- Add small decorative items, like candles, plants and picture frames, to all surfaces throughout the room to make the room feel cozy.
Browse Pottery Barn's wide selection of bedroom furniture, linens, decor items, storage solutions and more to find your ultimate bedroom inspiration. Shop by room to discover complete bedroom ideas by expert designers or mix-and-match to create a bedroom that's all your own.