Puckery Lemon Parfait with Summer Berries
Fresh, beautiful and a cinch to make in advance, these charming parfaits can be served straight out of the refrigerator when entertaining. Present them in the Schott Zwiesel Goblet.
- Lemon Curd
- 5 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice
- a pinch of kosher salt
- ½ cup cold, unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2½ cups fresh blueberries, picked over
- 2½ cups fresh raspberries
- 3 to 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 mint leaves for garnish
Preparation:To make the lemon curd:
- Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks and granulated sugar in the top pan of a double boiler or in a medium metal bowl until well mixed. Set over a saucepan filled with two inches of simmering water over medium heat. Add the lemon juice and kosher salt. Cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter until smooth.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape the mixture into a medium-mesh sieve set over a bowl. Strain the mixture into the bowl, pressing with the back of the spatula. Cool slightly at room temperature, then refrigerate until firm, at least one hour.
- Combine the cream and powdered sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until soft peaks form, about one minute. The cream should slowly fall forward when lifted with a whisk. Alternatively, use an electric hand mixer. Fold half the whipped cream into the chilled lemon curd, then fold in the remaining cream. Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
To prepare the berries: Just before assembling the parfaits, gently toss the blueberries, raspberries and three tablespoons of the granulated sugar in a medium bowl. Add the remaining tablespoon of sugar if necessary, depending on the sweetness of the berries.