Upholstery Fabric Options for D.I.Y. Projects
While choosing new furniture and accessories for your home is always a fun experience, there's something really special about creating your own home decor. All you'll need to start an upholstery D.I.Y. project is some free time, a little patience and the right upholstery fabric from Pottery Barn. With a wide assortment of colors, patterns and textures to choose from, you can get creative and tackle a fun and fulfilling D.I.Y. fabric project today.
Fabric by the Yard
Upholstery fabric at Pottery Barn is all sold by the yard. Since most bolts of home decor fabric are the same width, you can expect to receive a piece of fabric that is 54 inches wide and 36 inches long. If your project requires a longer piece of fabric, increase your order to two or more yards.
Certain materials are better suited to certain home decor projects than others, either due to their durability or their color or pattern. If you're not sure whether a certain upholstery fabric will work, you can request small textile swatches before you buy to confirm the color and texture. The selection may vary based on availability so check back often to find great fabric options like:
- Twill: Made of 100% cotton, Twill is a soft, multi-purpose fabric.
- Performance Everyday Velvet: This fabric is a stain- and water-resistant option with a plush, luxurious feel.
- Linen: Linen is a soft fabric blend with a subtle texture and considerable elasticity.
- Organic Cotton Canvas: Made of organic materials, Cotton Canvas is a durable material that's soft to the touch.
- Textured Basketweave: This strong fabric has a lovely textured surface to add visual and tactile interest to your D.I.Y. projects.
- Denim: Though often used to make clothing, Denim is also the perfect fabric for casual home decor.
- Performance Everyday Suede: One of the softest materials available, Performance Suede is a plush and durable fabric option that's made to last.
Using Your Upholstery Fabric
Browsing through Pottery Barn's wonderful selection of fabric by the yard will hopefully spark a few ideas for upholstery projects that you can work on around the home. Whether you're a beginner or a master seamstress, you can use these fabrics to add personality and handmade charm to your home decor.
- If your dining room chairs or fabric living room chairs are looking a little weathered, cover the seat cushions with new fabric to bring them back to life.
- You can also use these fabrics to create a slipcover for your sofas or loveseats. Choose easy-to-clean fabrics to keep your sofa looking like new.
- Cover an upholstered ottoman or bench with new fabric to update the look.
- Build your fabric headboard using a large piece of wood, craft foam, staples and the beautiful fabric of your choice. You can even use any extra fabric to sew a matching bed skirt.
Unleash your inner creativity with gorgeous fabric by the yard from Pottery Barn. Available in a wide variety of gorgeous colors and textures, these fabrics can help you repurpose worn or dated furniture or create something completely new. Order a yard or two of your favorite upholstery fabric and start your next D.I.Y. home decor project today.