Put on a Sofa Slipcover
Slipcovers are an easy and affordable way to change up the style of your living room. Their improved designs and growing number of available style options have increased their popularity in recent years. Fitted slipcovers have a tight fit that conforms neatly to the shape of your couch. The clean lines make it so that many people can't tell that you’re using a slipcover and instead think that you got a new sofa. Putting them on is a simple project that takes just a few minutes.
Benefits of Slipcovers
If your sofa is starting to show signs of wear, then a slipcover can bring it back to life. There is no reason to invest in new furniture if your sofa is in otherwise good condition. Slipcovers effectively hide spots and stains to make your furniture look fresh and appealing. If you have a new sofa, then a slipcover can extend its life by protecting it from everyday wear and tear, especially if you have pets or children. Lastly, slipcovers can completely transform the look of a room. You can change the color or design of your sofa to go along with a new style or theme.
Measuring Your Sofa
For the right look, it is important to get the proper size of slipcover for your sofa. This ensures that you don't have yards of extra fabric to deal with. It also provides a tighter fit for a cleaner appearance. Measure from the outside edge of one arm to the outside edge of the other arm to determine the size of your couch. Sofa-sized slipcovers fit furniture that measures between 74 and 96 inches wide. If possible, choose the style that corresponds to the shape and design of your sofa.
Putting the Slipcover on Your Sofa
While it might seem like a big project to put a slipcover on your sofa, it is actually quite simple. Pottery Barn slipcovers are designed for easy use and durability. Industrial Velcro holds them in place so that they stay right where you put them and maintain their smooth, clean appearance. Follow these few simple steps to put on your slipcover and make your sofa feel like new.
1. Remove the bottom cushions and any pillows and set them aside. Drape the slipcover over the back of the sofa.
2. Work from a low point to a high point by securing the Velcro to the front of the sofa and then working your way back.
3. Pull the cover over the arms of the sofa. Be sure to use a firm tugging motion to ensure a snug fit.
4. Secure the slipcover to the arm by adjusting the Velcro strip underneath the roll arm. Remove and reposition as necessary to remove the wrinkles.
5. Align the seam and the corners of the slipcover with the top of the furniture, and then secure the back of the slipcover with the Velcro.
6. Hold the seam in place and tuck the front of the cover into the crevice of the couch.
7. Tuck all of the loose fabric into the crevices around the seat and arms to eliminate wrinkles and tighten the cover on the furniture.
8. Slide the cushions into their respective covers and then pull the zippers to close.
It is normal for slipcovers to have creases and wrinkles when you first put them on your sofa. They will brush out and take on a smooth appearance over time and with use. Add accessories like throws and accent pillows to complement your sofa and tie it into the rest of the decor of the room. Changing up the appearance of your sofa and your living room couldn’t be easier. With the help of a Pottery Barn slipcover, you can get a new look easily and affordably.